Thursday, May 3, 2007

In the Beginning. . . There was Blog.

So... it's my first time ever having a blog. I don't count xanga, but I do have one of those... merely an outlet for stress and whatnot.

Today was a pretty bright day. Tickets sold out for the Spider Man 3 midnight showing, but I really didn't mind - I got to go home early.

My day began really hectic - woke up late, couldn't find the toothpaste, forgot my book and had to go back. . . but everything changed when I walked into my Filipina/o American Literature class. I was completely out of it, having had studied all night for a philosophy midterm, when I realized the person standing behind the podium wasn't our teacher. I thought to myself, 'it must be the author that's visiting today'.

He spoke on his book, "Talking to the Moon", which we read for class, and it was an amazing reading. I'd been to other signings or readings and author meets before, but I feel this was my favorite. It was very closed, more personal than if it had been in the bookstore or some other place on campus. The Anne Rice signing I went to was just a signing and pictures. Then there was the one I went to at the LA bookfair in 2006 for Stan Sakai - he just said hi and signed my books, drew some pictures. There was also the signing for Kazuo Ishiguro's Remains of the Day, but he just read from his book then signed.
Noel Alumit came off as an actual human being. He provided us with background, inspiration for his novel, and even answered questions.

I'd been writing stories for years now, probably as far back as sixth grade. One of my recent stories I was thinking of trying to get published, but I hadn't been inspired to write anymore of it in order to finish it. I was ready to give up. Noel Alumit's visit in class today gave me that motivation to start my story up again.

^^;; If you ever read this strange ramble of words, Noel Alumit, thank you for the inspiration.

No comments: